After sharing the chickpea croutons and vegan Caesar sauce today, it’s the vegan Caesar salad turn.
This recipe is EPIC. I am not exaggerating if I say that it is one of the wealthiest salads I have ever tasted, and it is undoubtedly the one I like the most of all the ones we have published on the blog.
It is not a salad for every day because it is not ready in 5 minutes, and also the sauce is caloric, but it is ideal for pampering yourself because it is delicious.
Instead of the typical bread croutons, I have used chickpea croutons because they are gluten-free, healthier and more prosperous for my taste, although you can use bread if you prefer.
I have also substituted the cheese for vegan Parmesan, but if you don’t want to complicate your life so much, you can use nutritional yeast or brewer’s yeast.
To replace the chicken, I have used tofu. I have read in many blogs and books that if the tofu is marinated, it has much more flavour and is more affluent, but I do not have much patience, and it tastes delicious without marinating.
Also, many times we are in a hurry or decide what we will eat on the go.
At first, I did not like tofu, and I had difficulty getting to the point (with how easy it is to prepare!).
As I like best, it is cut into strips or cubes (depending on the recipe) and baked for half an hour (approximately 15 minutes on each side). Fried is also delicious, but it is less healthy and has more calories.
After baking, I usually sauté it with soy sauce, although I prepared a marinade to taste more like chicken. As I am very impatient, I did not leave it for long, and in fact, you can put it in the pan directly.
I used soy sauce, thyme, paprika, garlic and onion powder, cumin, pepper, and a splash of water to marinate the tofu. You can add salt (I cook pretty bland) or any other spice that you like.
You can also cook the tofu with just a little soy sauce if you want it to have a more neutral flavour.
It is common to use Iceberg lettuce to make this salad, but it is very bland and has fewer nutrients than others, so it is best to avoid it.
I used romaine lettuce because it is similar, but it is a thousand times richer. You can also add other green leaves such as spinach, kale or whatever you have around the house.
It is a somewhat laborious recipe, but I promise you that it is 100% worth the time spent.
You can also simplify it a bit by using nutritional yeast or brewer’s yeast instead of vegan Parmesan, buying ready-made croutons, and deep-frying the tofu in a deep fryer or frying pan, as it takes much less time to brown.
You prepare it as you prepare it; I guarantee that it will be delicious because the sauce is delicious, although, for my taste, the whole recipe is perfect. I hope you dare to prepare it!
If you prepare this recipe, please leave a comment or share a photo with us on Instagram or other social networks with the hashtag #DanceofStoves. We love your comments and your photos; they always make our day!
Vegan Caesar Salad
This vegan Caesar salad is one of my favourite salads. It is a somewhat elaborate recipe, but it is worth the effort because it is vibrant.
- Author: Dance of Stoves
- Preparation: 15 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Total: 50 minutes
- Servings: 4 (1x), 8 (2x), 12 (3x)
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
Ingredients SCALE (1x)
- One head of romaine lettuce
- 275 g firm tofu (9.7 ounces)
- Three tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- Three tablespoons of water
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chickpea croutons (100 g)
- 1/4 cup of vegan Parmesan cheese (60 g)
- 1 cup of vegan Caesar sauce (250 ml)
Ingredients SCALE (2x)
- Two head of romaine lettuce
- 550 g firm tofu (19 2/5 ounces)
- Six tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- Six tablespoons of water
- One teaspoon thyme
- One teaspoon of sweet paprika
- One teaspoon of cumin
- One teaspoon garlic powder
- One teaspoon onion powder
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of chickpea croutons (200 g)
- 1/2 cup of vegan Parmesan cheese (120 g)
- 2 cup vegan Caesar sauce (500 ml)
Ingredients SCALE (3x)
- Three head of romaine lettuce
- 825 g firm tofu (29 ounces)
- Nine tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- Nine tablespoons of water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup chickpea croutons (300 g)
- 3/4 cup of vegan Parmesan cheese (180 g)
- 3 cup vegan Caesar sauce (750 ml)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC or 390ºF.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and place them on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for 15 minutes, flip or stir them a bit and leave for another 15 minutes. Take the tofu out of the oven and let it cool slightly if possible. You can also fry the tofu until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add the soy sauce, water, and herbs and spices (thyme, paprika, cumin, garlic, onion, and pepper) to a bowl. Stir and pour the tofu inside to soak it up. Please put it in a pan and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Tofu takes on colour and flavour. Ideally, let it cool before adding it to the salad.
- Chop the lettuce and put it in a salad bowl or large bowl. Add the croutons, Parmesan, tofu, and Caesar sauce. Stir and serve.